Tooth-colored Dental Fillings
We provide tooth-colored dental fillings at our Atlanta, GA, practice to restore form and function after cavity treatment. Dr. Joseph Murray exclusively uses tooth-colored fillings to replace decayed tissue or replace old amalgam fillings because they bond more securely to your teeth and contain no toxins.
A cavity is a small hole that develops when plaque buildup forms on the outside of the tooth, leading to enamel deterioration. This is a result of bacteria, sugars and starches from the food you eat combining with saliva to form an acid that begins to degrade the tooth. If left untreated, this can eventually lead to painful dental infections that require root canal therapy or an extraction.
The best way to prevent cavities is to implement and follow a healthy oral hygiene routine that includes:
- Brushing your teeth twice a day
- Using a toothpaste that contains fluoride
- Flossing daily
- Brushing your tongue or using a tongue scraper
- Rinsing your mouth with antibacterial mouthwash
- Eating a healthy diet and avoiding sugary foods and beverages
- Avoiding smoking and the use of tobacco products
- Visiting Dr. Murray and his team every six months for your dental exam and cleaning
However, it is important to note that in spite of excellent dental hygiene, cavities can occur. If you develop a cavity, Dr. Murray can quickly repair the health and appearance of your tooth.
With proper daily care and regular checkups, you can expect your filling to last many years.
What to Expect during and After Your Procedure
Dr. Murray will first use x-rays and other tools to identify any cavities. If he determines that you are a candidate for a filling, he will schedule an appointment during which the tooth will be treated and restored. Dr. Murray will use local anesthesia to numb the tooth and surrounding tissue to make you comfortable during the procedure. Next, he will remove the decayed tissue, carefully clean the area, and then use tooth-colored composite resin to fill the cavity.
A special blue curing light is used to harden the resin. If necessary, Dr. Murray will carefully trim away any excess material for a comfortable fit before polishing your tooth. After treatment, you can return to your normal routine. With proper daily care and regular checkups, you can expect your filling to last many years.
Benefits of Tooth-colored Fillings
The most obvious benefit of a tooth-colored filling is a natural-looking appearance. Traditional amalgam fillings can cause healthy teeth to look decayed. Over time, they can cause dental tissue to become discolored. However, tooth-colored fillings provide other important advantages as well:
- Zero toxicity: Although the trace amounts of mercury in amalgam fillings are not considered dangerous, most patients feel more comfortable with toxin-free fillings.
- A better bond: Tooth-colored fillings bond more securely to your tooth than amalgam fillings.
- Minimized fluctuation: Amalgam fillings expand and contract with temperature, which can fracture teeth over time. Tooth-colored fillings experience only a negligible amount of fluctuation.
Schedule Your Appointment
Are you suffering from tooth pain? Contact J.D. Murray DDS & Associates today to schedule your consultation with Dr. Murray. Following an examination, he can determine the best way to restore your comfort and oral health.